''No way Audrey, but if you want to catch up you have to pedal faster, like me," my brother, Kyle, blurted back.
Ah, what a fun time I'm having I thought. Just riding around town on my half-way broken bike, with my little brother who is teasing me about the way he rides faster. Yep, I am having such a fun time. Don't think I like bike riding, because I hate it. And I know that "hate" is a strong word. When I try to hop onto a curb, my seat plops all the way down to the pole. It hurts my butt. Bad.
Oh, and by the way, that is just one example.But it was a nice day. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping. Well, basically all the good stuff in a fairytale.
We were almost half way across town when my dad, Kris, ordered "Let's stop here".
No, not Starbucks.
"I am just going to get a coffee at Starbucks".
"Ugh," I muttered.
We pushed our bikes to the windo next to the big sign that read, Don't come here, it's a perfect day to grab your bikes and take a nice ride. I thought would end with an "around town" or something, but it just kept me hanging. I carefully ripped the tape that was connected to the sign, hoping that no one saw me, and stuffed the whole thing into my, now stretched out pocket. I thought it may come in handy some time. I shoved open the heavy door and found, well nothing. Except for my dad and Kyle of course. The place was nearly empty. No customers. My dad was leaning over the table with the milk and sugar. He was mixing them together rapidly. I shoved him away and guided him to the exit. I didn't want to stay there much longer, the place was weird. Kyle was lounging on a couch. I called him over. Then we left.
We were back on the road and I was ready to lay down on my bed and take a nice long nap. But sadly, that was not going to happen. One at a time, I lifted my hands off the handle bars and rubbed them on my grubby sweatshirt, then I shifted my behind. Don't blame me, I was just trying to get comfortable. We kept on riding and my little brain was telling me I'd seen these houses before. ''I recognize this place," I stated." This is the place where--'' I froze in my tracks, this was where the turn of death was.
The last time I'd been here, was last summer. It was in a weird place beyond town behind all the shops and past the library. I really did not like this area, and still do not. Dad glanced at me and saw that I was in a trance. ''Audrey, Audrey. Snap out of it. Is something wrong?''
I shook my head. "Uh, uh. No, I was just admiring how beautiful the red is on that tree''. Why do I have to be so stupid? I remembered the last time when I had to walk my bike across the turn because I was so scared. This time I was terrified, but I knew I should be brave. Dad and Kyle were all the way down the hill now, and I was all alone. My bike crept forward and I tightened my grip on my handlebars. I thought to myself, "one, two, three", and then took off. I could feel my hair blowing through the cold breeze of dry wind, and I couldn't believe I was doing this. I must have forgotten I had brakes, because I was speeding down the hill super fast and couldn't control myself. The sign from Starbucks flew out of my pocket, and landed straight on my face. I couldn't see a thing. I wanted to scream, "SOS", but my mouth was stretched out by the pressure of the strong wind and my lips were flapping like crazy. The next thing I knew my bike was flat on the ground, my tire was smashed against the curb, and I was flying. I pictured myself as an airplane, gliding through the air. I was a jet, because somehow I managed to turn really sharply and nearly make it through two trees.


I landed flat on my bum. Now even more sore than ever. People were staring and I felt like a total
idiot. I bet my dad saw this coming because hegave me a look that I've seen before. It was an "I can't believe I was thinking the same thing that I am seeing" look. He picked me up, and I started bawling. Not because it hurt, but because I was scared out of my mind. Luckily I was okay to ride home, because that's exactly what I did.
I shoved open the front door, and my mom greeted me with a smile and a hug. I started crying again and told her my whole story. That day was an exciting and interesting day of my life, and I'll never forget about the turn of death.
10 comments:
i think you should use a diffrent word in the beging then blurted.
Hi Audrey,
why do you call it the turn of death? Did someone die there? Anyway you survived.
Wow Im sapriesed you did not get hurt.
Audrey, where is the turn of death? And excellent job with the diologue!
--Riley
I the story was amazing, did you actually fly through to tree or were you exaggerating.
Audrey, your story is good. I have many qustiens but 2 that I really would like to know would be, are you still afraid of the turn of death and 2 would be what happend the last time you were at the turn of death. This story is great. I also like the words you used in the biginning like blurted. Keep writing!
I like the way it feels like you're talking to me. love the story Audrey, great job!
Audrey, I really liked your S.O.S. because it was very dicriptive and interesting. Are you scared to ride your bike now?
Post a Comment