Monday, November 30, 2009

Baseball at Boyle



It was a sunny fall day at Boyle Park and I was playing baseball with my elderly teen brother Jonah and my friend Jackson. We were playing a normal game, just tossing the ball over the plate and hitting it. Pretty much what I did every day a few years ago. But this day wasn't normal.

A group of teenagers came strolling over and sat in the bleachers. They watched us. I didn't really care. To me it was just another group of another teenagers who would ruin our games. I wasn't aware of anything at the moment. "So, can we play?", the one with sagging pants said. "No", answered my brother with force. "Why?", they asked, getting annoyed now. "We are just playing alone", my brother answered. I was getting kind of scared now. Jackson was quiet, but I knew he was getting a little scared too. Then one of them headed out toward the mound. "Hey, kid, can I pitch one?", he asked. My brother was shaking his head saying NO. Jonah seemed pretty cool about the whole thing. "No", I squeaked back. "I'll give you my Ipod", he said stupidly with a quizzical look on his face. His doofess friends chuckled in the background. "You'll give him your Ipod?!", one of them said. "Hey, you guys, let's go to the other field", Jonah told us. So we started to walk over to the Minors field. They followed us. Now I was totally freaked. when they got over one of them said, "Hey, kid, you're cool but your brother's an @$%#$%@". "Let's, Let, Let's, um, go home" Jonah said with fright. "Let us bat! God! You #$*%&**%!" the sagger yelled. They got closer as we were backing away. "@#$%!". He had a skateboard, and then he did something that made my heart stop. He hurled his skateboard at my brother's almost whisker face and it barely missed. Then all three of us broke into a run.


We were running as hard as we could, scared out of our minds. I thought we were not fast enough but at least we were still ahead. The thing that made it more scary is that they were still on our backs and chasing us. And it didn't look like they were slowing down, either. We were now on the path near the bathrooms and running towards the majors field. We were getting nearer to the road now. "We're not gonna make it", I thought hopelessly. My legs felt like jelly. Then, by some amazing feat, a miracle happened.
I saw a car coming down the street. It looked familiar. Then I thought, WAIT, it's my dad's! And he was in it all right. Now all we had to do was make him stop. It might not be easy because he was probably thinking, Oh, they just walk the rest of the way. I sure hoped he wasn't thinking that. Or just not thinking at all. All three of us yelled, "WAIT!!! STOP THERE! PLEEAAAASE!".
And after about 15 yards of chasing he stopped near the hill down towards the Mill Valley Tennis Club. "Hurry up, hurry up go!", I panicked. All of us were panting hard at that moment. I looked back to look at them, and they were gone. But I caught a glimpse of the last one running down the hill into the tennis club. Only 30 seconds away from safety, I thought. Now it's over.
When I got home I looked around, still being a little paranoid, then dashed inside with Jonah and Jackson and locked the doors immediately. When we were inside we told my mom and dad what happened exactly with a few, "That was so scary" remarks and, "Oh my god, that was freaky". " I'll go down there and teach those teens a lesson", my dad said confidently. That made me feel better. Jackson stayed at our house for a while, so he would not have to walk all the way to his house, alone. The teenagers could still be out there, waiting for us. The idea of that made me shiver with fear. After a while of sharing the experience, my dad got in the car and drove Jackson home and I went with them. I never saw those teenagers again.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on the edge of my seat when I read this. This is a great piece of work. I really love your S.O.S. moment, I actually got the shivers. At least your dad drove by!

Max von Buedingen said...

Dear Henry,
your S.O.S was really scary! Even I was a little scared when I heard that teens wanted to beat you with skateboards. Maybe they were a little drunk.

Eric Zimmer said...

Dear Henry,
I think its a really good SOS moment! I mean, what d you expect to think when teens come around and are about to start waking you with skateboards. Ouch!

Jackson said...

I was there so I know how scary it was was. But I like how you put a lot of detail in your S.O.S.

Abby said...

Henry,
This was a great S.O.S. This story kept me engrossed until the very last sentence. Very well written.
Abby

Harrison Brewer said...

hey, henry
Your SOS was outstanding, I got so freaked out in the chase seen. I am amazed of hoe good you used your dialog

***Harrison***

sydney kuhn said...

That kept me into the story I liked the part where you saw your dad.

Ben Lampl said...

I hate High Schoolers (most of them).

Ben Lampl said...

By the way I like your brother.

Bo Jordan said...

Ya I agree with Harrison your story was outstanding! Also the chase part was good.

~Cole~