Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Melting Pot

Last year, I went to American school for the first time. I barely knew English. I couldn't understand anything the teacher said. It was very hard that day. I got used to school here eventually, but then I had a hard time.
The first day I was very nervous. But I was also excited. "My first day at American school!" I thought.
That was just the beginning! I got to school and my teacher introduced me to the class. No one was paying attention! At recess only one person came up to me. Later I found out she was playing truth or dare and she got dared to ask me to go on the monkey bars. This made me cry.
After that, I was called on and it didn't turn out right. My words were not like they should have been. Every one started laughing. By the end of the day, the whole school knew about it.
That was just the start. At lunch, no one sat with me. When I sat next to some one, they scooted away. I was so sad.
When we got to class I looked at someone and they were whispering, pointing, and laughing. I put my head on my desk. This made them laugh even harder. By the end of the day, I was totally humiliated! 
When I got home, I went straight to my room and didn't come out until the next morning.
The next day I still didn't have any friends but I did better school wise. I was called on and the answer was almost correct. I was proud of myself. But later I got a laugh when I asked what parallel meant. I don't know why that was funny. We were in fourth grade and I didn't know.
This wasn't the best day, but it was a start.
Days for me got better and better. By the end of the year, I made lots of friends, spoke fluent English, and was very happy.
I'm glad that America is a melting pot because I wouldn't be here, a citizen of The United States of America.
That is what happened to me when I moved to the United States and now I'm as happy as can be.
America is my home now even though I still go back to Germany every summer. I am staying happy in America!

No comments: